Tubular Product Defination
The tubular product is used to cover the hollow product. These products commonly design in a cylindrical shape, typically these products are in different square, oval and rectangular shapes. Tubular product has a wide range of applications in industrial, general engineering and automotive application as well.
Steel pipe and tubular products classified as (I) Tube and (II) Pipe. The application of them in term of pipe and tube are always not the same.
This broad term pipe and tubes are subdivided based on their usage. The tube covers the three tubing groups such as pressure tube, structural tube and mechanical tube. Similarly, pipe covers the five groups such as standard pipe, OCTG pipe, line pipe, water well pipe and pressure pipe.
- Steel Tubular Product Usage
Steel has several uses over various industries; most typical and wide-ranging types are tubular steel or steel tubing. Custom steel tubing is often decorative and inventive, or it can be simple and purely functional with several spaces in between.
Industrial/General Engineering: Steel tubing is used in various industrial applications for transportation of gases and liquids. Steel tubular product is also used to make automotive parts and industrial machinery like conveyor belts, hydraulic lifts and few home applications.
Medical: Both for instrumentation and patient assistance applications steel tubing is important within the medical trade. Stethoscopes are made up of specific sorts of steel tube in several cases, and you’ll likely see tubular steel in beds, wheelchairs, IV stands and several other areas.
Transportation/Automotive: Every vehicle form car to trucks and trains to plane uses steel tubular product or steel products. As their fuel line and engine is also made from steel tubes.
- Manufacturing Process and Requirements of Steel Tube
Steel tube manufacturing depends on the manufacturing process welded pipes can be divided into three classes by welding method, i.e., arc welding, electric resistance welding, and butt welding. Pipes manufactured by the arc welding method can be further divided into UOE pipe, bending press pipe, and spiral welded pipe, depending on differences in the forming method.
Pipe and Tube Specification
- The tubing sizes and thickness are usually as 1/8 inch inside diameter to 5 inches outside diameter and wall thickness should be 0.015inch to 0.500inch inclusive.
- All pipes shall be cleanly finished and reasonably free from harmful defects.
- The end of the pipe should be free from sharp edges and burrs of the pipe.
- For marketing each tube shall be marked with manufacturer’s name or trade mark, ISO number and class of tube.
- Each tube shall be tested for leak proof.
Steel tube manufacturing process: Steel tubes shall be manufactured by the any of the following processes depending on the industry.
- Hot-finished seamless (HFS)
- Electric Resistance welded (ERW)
- High frequency induction welded (HFIW)
- Cold-finished seamless (CDS)